11 Aug Mobile Gaming Roundup – 08/07/2015
More Chinese Mobile Gamers than US citizens, iOS knock-off knocks-out, and a lot of Angry Birds.
Industry News for the Week Ending August 7, 2015. Welcome to E-Link’s weekly roundup of mobile gaming news. We curate what’s relevant to those in the mobile gaming industry.
- Gamasutra: Joshua Dallman’s Blog – How to Design a Social Game – Another take on the user funnel, but not radically different.
- Gamasutra: Trevor McCalmont’s Blog – App Store Optimization for Game Developers – High-level overview; ASO is always top priority.
- The Secrets Behind a $5M+ Per Day Mobile Game (Clash of Clans) – No real secret here, just strong in all aspects.
- Tricks and tips for how to get your game featured in the Apple’s App Store | VentureBeat | New York | by Dean Takahashi – Stuff everyone should know.
- Fiksu’s June 2015 indexes | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – CPI’s keep climbing, need to use budgets wisely.
- Apple.com Removes Standalone Store Tab, Emphasizes Curation In Huge Redesign
- Facebook Introduces Live Event Streams | alistdaily
- Frank Gibeau joins Zynga | GamesIndustry.biz
- Topology sees VR device shipments rising in 2016 – Taipei Times
- Twitter Introduces Bulk Editing Tool For Managing Ad Campaigns
- Apple Music hooks 11 million trial members, App Store has record July
- Angry Birds 2 hits 20 million downloads in week one | GamesIndustry.biz
- The Rise of Interactive Toy Games | alistdaily – Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions…
- Seriously On Turning ‘Best Fiends’ Into a Global Entertainment Franchise | alistdaily – Huge initial boost from PewDiePie, now injection of cash means for new activities.
- Facebook kills proposed user data policy after game and app publishers panicked | GamesBeat | Games | by Dean Takahashi
- Gamasutra – id Software has a new office in Germany
- ‘Halo 5’ Tournament To Offer $1 Million | alistdaily
- The International Set To Make eSports History | alistdaily – with $18M in prize-money for the DoTA 2 tournament.
- Salesforce, Brand Networks, Ampush among the first to support Instagram’s Ads API | VentureBeat | Marketing | by Ken Yeung
- Want Ads that Stick? Full-Screen Interactive Units Boast Best Recall – eMarketer – though Google reported last week they may also have the highest bounce-rates.
- Inside the sad, expensive failure of Google+ – Even Google admits Google+ wasn’t so great.
- Summoners War beyond 40 million downloads | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Strategy Analytics: iPhone market share climbed from 8.2% to 10.9% year-on-year
- BlackBerry To Exit Smartphone Market If Profits Don’t Turn Around
- Deconstructing Game of War | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Windows 10 already on 14 million devices | GamesIndustry.biz
- Glu signs up Nicki Minaj | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Glu keeps signing celebs.
- SNK Playmore acquired by Chinese joint venture | GamesIndustry.biz – SNK has classic arcade IP such as Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, King of Fighters.
- Netmarble Invests $130 Million in SGN | alistdaily
- Inside Konami: public shaming, tyrannical management and punitive reassignment | GamesIndustry.biz
- Godus heads to China | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- PayPal Aims to Connect More US Merchants with Chinese Consumers
- South East Asia’s potential untapped by Western developers | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Apple loses top spot in Chinese smartphone market to Xiaomi – Ironically, Xiaomi is an iOS knock-off.
- China has 366 million mobile game players, as revenues skyrocket – There are more chinese mobile gamers than US citizens.
Top Games on August 7, 2015 (iPhone, US)
Back to Blog >
header image: Rovio