21 Aug Mobile Gaming Roundup – 08/21/2015
Whales indeed – playing 1.6 games spending 33$, 5 Marketing mistakes, and kid games 8% globally.
Industry News for the Week Ending August 21, 2015. Welcome to E-Link’s weekly roundup of mobile gaming news. We curate what’s relevant to those in the mobile gaming industry.
- The four pillars of retention | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – On-boarding, gameplay, video, notifications. Content is just as critical, though not listed in the article.
- Gamasutra: Om Tandon’s Blog – Match-3 Monetisation: New booster selling trend in King games – Sample item vs. “sampler” item.
- We made a big mistake with our free-to-play design, and our players let us know – Inadvertent pay-wall.
- Do free-to-play games monetize on old smartphones? – Older phone, spend less.
- Soft Launch | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Teenage Girls Are Playing Video Games. You Just Might Not Hear Them.
- All the facts and stats on China’s 668M web users (INFOGRAPHIC) – mobile usage/traffic huge gains as expected.
- Gamasutra: Aidan Minter’s Blog – The 5 Biggest Mistakes Made by Indie Development Studios – All Marketing/Publishing related activities that get overlooked (E-Link of course can advise)
- Action mouth icon | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Apparent the shouting mouth is benchmarked
- Digital Media Consumption Is Booming as Investment Floods In – WSJ – Over 2 years, digital consumption is smartphones 90% growth vs. desktop 16%.
- How Mobile Use Varies By Generation | alistdaily – Older you are, the more you game.
- Hearthstone on mobile could be losing Blizzard millions | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Cannibalizing their PC players, since App stores take a cut
- Hothead Glu Deer Hunter 2014 | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Deer Hunter sued Killshot; though Killshot settled, game is still up.
- How Glu balances UA and ad sales | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Ad-revenue goes back into UA spend.
- Fallout Shelter launches #DateADweller UA Tinder campaign | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- The new switchers – Android back to iOS?
- Alleged iPhone 6s Benchmark Reveals 1GB Of RAM | Ubergizmo
- Gamescom Exec Discusses Record Growth in 2015 and Beyond | alistdaily
- Google For iOS Updated With Always-On “OK Google” Command | Ubergizmo
- AR tech not ready for mass market – Oculus CEO | GamesIndustry.biz
- Zynga PMP | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Zynga building ad network
- King FY15 Q2 | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Revenue and player count down.
- The New League Of Legends Mobile Game Is Good Simple Fun
- Gamasutra – Dead Realm publisher disregards FTC disclosure guidelines for YouTubers – YouTubers make game, then review on YouTube without disclosing.
- Kids’ mobile games are worth nearly 8% of global market | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Agar.io the most downloaded iOS game during July | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – had strong PC following
- Mobile players only spend in an average of 1.6 games – NPD | GamesIndustry.biz – Based on a study, 33$ spend on average for those 1.6 games, whales are key.
- You Can Now Use WhatsApp Web on Your iPhone – On Android for months, now on iPhone
- Facebook launches native video ads for mobile apps
- Facebook appears to be testing new profile pages for mobile users
- After Years Of Restraint, Facebook Tries Allowing GIFs In Ads And Page Posts | TechCrunch
- Jon Stewart’s next gig: In the wrestling ring at WWE SummerSlam
- Disney Universes Align At D23 Expo | alistdaily
- MasterCard is experimenting with ‘selfie pay’ | Business Insider India
- Is Apple Pay the killer app for Apple Watch? | Computerworld
- Meet Fan Bingbing, the 4th highest-paid actress in the world – Chinese actress in X-men
Top Games on August 21, 2015 (iPhone, US)
header image: Clash of Clans