28 Aug Mobile Gaming Roundup – 08/28/2015
Genius blogs on China, Amazon “actually free”, and iPhone 6S TBA Sept 9.
Industry News for the Week Ending August 28, 2015. Welcome to E-Link’s weekly roundup of mobile gaming news. We curate what’s relevant to those in the mobile gaming industry.
- Gamasutra: Mark Newington’s Blog – Publishing your mobile game in China, in a nutshell – Written by a visionary and genius from the best game publishing company in the world.
- Is China attractive to Western mobile developers? – The article covers the highly lucrative Chinese market, and cites the challenges for Western devs, challenges of which E-Link can help of course.
- The 7 Deadly Sins of Mobile User Acquisition –
- TL;DR – Don’t forget to:
- 1. soft-launch
- 2. set goals
- 3. know your ARPU (We would also add LTV)
- 4. multi-network
- 5. supplement organics
- 6. incentivized not good alone
- 7. segment users
- TL;DR – Don’t forget to:
- Adult women are now the largest demographic in gaming – Some interesting stats, mostly thanks to casual and social games.
- Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Recorded Slowest Growth Rate Since 2013 – Global saturation? Though almost 1 in every 3 smartphones globally are sold in China.
- Gamasutra – Rovio to lay off 260 as restructuring efforts begin
- Gamasutra – Crucial lessons from 7 game jam prototypes that went commercial
- Gamasutra: Thomas Bidaux’s Blog – gamescom 2015 – media coverage analysis
- Microsoft says Windows 10 now on 75 million devices – SFGate
- Amazon Picks Up Bill For ‘Free’ Apps Through Underground | Lifehacker Australia – Amazon paying devs on game time, offers “actually free” apps
- Lara Croft Go PR stunt will give away free iPads in London | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – with Lara Crofts running around the London Tube.
- Studio Profile: Rovio Stockholm | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Angry Birds 2 took 25 staff and 2 years…
- Bandai Namco strikesTekken trading card deal with Fabzat | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Gamasutra: Peter Dille’s Blog – Top 6 Ways App Developers Use Cohort Analysis
- UPDATE 1-Apple lines up Sept. 9 event, seen unveiling new iPhones | Reuters
- YouTube’s Approach To Copyright Claims Could Scare Off Streamers
- Facebook Tests a Digital Assistant for Its Messaging App – The New York Times
- One billion in a day on Facebook? No big deal – BBC News
- Dow Jones index plunges over 1,000 points, then gains back 400, as terrible stock market day dawns – China has global effects.
- Almost None of the Women in the Ashley Madison Database Ever Used the Site
- Timeline Photos – 20th Century Fox – MIchael Fassbender photo as Assassin’s Creed movie character
Top Games on August 28, 2015 (iPhone, US)
header image: Gamasutra