25 Sep Mobile Gaming Roundup – 09/25/2015
Samsung Gear VR $99 this year; iOS 9 Gaming; Star Wars Uprising IAP breakdown.
Industry News for the Week Ending September 25, 2015. Welcome to E-Link’s weekly roundup of mobile gaming news. We curate what’s relevant to those in the mobile gaming industry.
- What you should learn from the man who lost $600,000 on Facebook ads – Be sure to target more than Likes (and attribute it too).
- Unity unveils new analytics and monetization tools arsenal | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- The monetisation of Star Wars: Uprising | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Action RPG does F2P right
- Gamasutra – Boothing on a budget: 6 tips from indie devs
- Gamasutra: Josh Sutphin’s Blog – How our PR partner’s reputation became a liability, and what we did about it – Many PR agencies don’t know the industry from both gaming consumer and media standpoints. E-Link, of course, can always help in all aspects of publishing.
- Apple removes apps after App Store hit with first major malware attack
- Whale spending and retention in freemium apps – Retention always #1
- As if Anyone Doubted It, the iPhone 6S Is Selling Like Mad
- 8 ways that iOS 9 improves gaming on iPhone and iPad
- Disney Leads $66 Million Investment In Virtual-Reality Startup JauntVR | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
- “Unity By The Numbers” report reveals extent of engine’s reach | GamesIndustry.biz – the world is Android
- Glu Mobile using its Bond licence for multiplayer strategy title James Bond: Wor | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Channel 4 unveils new mobile games publishing initiative | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Consumers are keeping smartphones, tablets and PCs longer | Computerworld
- Gamasutra – Activision launches Call of Duty World League as eSports head to TBS
- Smartphone users spend almost all their time in their 3 favorite apps | Business Insider India
- The anatomy of the iPhone 6S launch, from city to city
Oculus / VR
- Why VR won’t be mass market until 2020 | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Samsung, Facebook’s Oculus plan November launch for Gear VR headset, at $99 – CNET
- “Oculus Ready” PC line to start at under $1000 | GamesIndustry.biz
- Carmack: Minecraft is “the single most important application for VR” | GamesIndustry.biz
- LinkedIn’s mobile strategy is a mess
- The Secret Way Publishers Are Going Viral On Facebook – Native Advertising e.g. George Takei shares publishers’ content with quips as if his own.
- Instagram’s Powerful Mobile Game Ads | alistdaily
- Twitter confirms it’s experimenting with native polls in tweets | VentureBeat | Social | by Ken Yeung
- Emmys 2015: Here’s who won
- Starbucks Kills Its Line With An App | Co.Design | business + design
- White House report declares broadband internet a necessity
Top Games on September 25, 2015 (iPhone, US)
header image: Samsung