14 Aug Mobile Gaming Roundup – 08/14/2015
G is for Google says new parent, E-Sports Champions’ prize money more than Stanley Cup, no desire for HTC.
Industry News for the Week Ending August 14, 2015. Welcome to E-Link’s weekly roundup of mobile gaming news. We curate what’s relevant to those in the mobile gaming industry.
- Soft Launch | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – See what the big studios are up to
- Gamasutra: Gabriel Stürmer’s Blog – The Two User Acquisition Tactics That Got Us Half a Million Players – These two “tactics” are really the two types of acquisition, Paid and Organic.
- How Jonatan Crafoord squeezed the entire audio for Angry Birds 2 into 10Mb | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – File size is important.
- Twitter officially drops 140-character limit… for direct messages
- Unity launching VR/AR conference | GamesIndustry.biz
- Niantic Labs spun off into independent company | GamesIndustry.biz – Mobile live scavenger game “Ingress” Developer that was previously Google’s
- Report: Digital Natives Do Everything From Mobile Devices | SocialTimes – Stats on millenial teen mobile usage.
- Former Google and Apple employees prepare to launch Nextbit smartphone September 1st | The Verge
- HTC declared effectively worthless; LG’s profit margins fall to a penny a phone | ExtremeTech
- Digital Collectible Card Games Bring Major Cash | alistdaily – A deep dive with stats on CCG – 80% male, 46% 2+ platforms, loyal, and more.
- Exclusive: Google planning an affiliate program for Google Play, starting with Movies & Music | 9to5Google – about time…
- Nordeus and Nemanja Matic | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – Matic working on Top Eleven
- F2P developer Kobojo goes paid | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- A U.S. team of pro gamers won a $6.6 million prize on Saturday – The International, DOTA 2 Chamionships
- WTF: Google creates a new parent company called Alphabet – Because Google does so much more than Search.
- Core console software sales are higher than ever – EEDAR | GamesIndustry.biz – Console not totally dying
- Zynga FY15 Q2 sales up usd 200 million | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Mobile-First and Desktop-First: A Tale of 2 ‘Mobile’ Audiences | alistdaily – Effecitiveness of ad banners
- Pocket Gems Talks ‘Demi Lovato: Path To Fame’ | alistdaily – Celebs still jumping on.
- Google Launches New Site To Showcase Experimental Open Source Apps For Android And Android Wear | TechCrunch
- Angry Birds 2 30 million downloads | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Gamasutra – With Ouya’s demise, is the dream of the microconsole dead? – Not open enough, targeted wrong crowd.
- The Chinese Growth Engine is Sputtering – Visual Capitalist – 1-child policy backfiring? Workforce will age.
- Angry Birds Epic China | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz – “more pay-to-win” in China (allegedly)
- ‘Pixels’ copyright notices took down the studio’s own trailer – Adam Sandler movie’s anti-piracy agency accidentally took down own trailer on YouTube.
- ‘Fantastic Four’ by the numbers: It’s worse than you think
- Amazon’s Dash buttons is proof we’ve reached a new level of laziness [REVIEW]
- YouTube Ads Leaderboard: July 2015 – YouTube
- Will Smith is reportedly looking to reboot ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ – It better not star his son.
Top Games on August 14, 2015 (iPhone, US)
header image: abc.xyz