22 Apr Mobile Gaming Roundup CHINA – 04/22/2016
RPG brings $$$ | Xiaomi’s new global strategy | VR social platform in creation
360 Recently announced their research report on Chinese mobile gaming industry trend. Below are several main points worth taking note of:
- 17% of all the downloads in 2015 from 360 app store are RPGs.
- The market for MOBA, tower defense, shooter and racing genre can still be expanded due to the limited amount of titles in those category on the market.
- Mobile gamers tend to favor high resolution mobile phones over low resolution phones.
- Chinese mobile gamers are most active during noon and from 6 pm to 9 pm.
- Most of Chinese mobile game players come from Guangdong, BeiJing and He Nan province. Guangdong alone is accounted for 11% of all the mobile game players in China.
Recently during IGBC(International Game Business Conference) in Beijing, Shang Jin, VP of Xiao Mi Tech, shared Xiao Mi’s new global strategy for mobile gaming. According to Shang, Xiao Mi will split Xiao Mi gaming department into casual game publishing and an independent Mobile E-sports game studio. At the same time, Xiao Mi will partner up with a top tier Chinese IP- <Dao Mu Bi Ji> to produce new era VR experience products/games.
Started in 2014, Dream VR is the first Chinese mobile VR headset manufacturer successfully crowdfunded in Jing Dong crowdfunding. The CMO of Dream VR recently announced the company’s road map strategy in VR industry. DreamVR believes that social applications will be the first Killer app category for VR headsets. Being different from Facebook or other industry giants, DreamVR is building a VR social house type of virtual theater. They partnered up with Guang Xian Chuan Mei to get authorizations of existing movie titles to put into their virtual theater. This will allow users to chat with other audiences while the movie/film plays.
Top Games on April 22, 2016 (iPhone, China)
Top 3 Free iOS apps
- Tiān Tiān Méng Méng Xiāo 2016 (Match 3, Cute cartoon style)
- Jī Jiǎ Fēng Bào (RPG, Futuristic Sci-fi setting)
- Lǚ Bù Ai Mào Xiǎn (Base building x Hero Quest x Card collection, Ancient Chinese fantasy setting)
Top 3 Paid iOS apps
- Wèn Dào (RPG with turn base combat, Ancient Chinese fantasy setting)
- Shān Hǎi Jīng Zhī Chì Yǐng Chuán Shuō (RPG with turn base combat, Game adaptation of Chinese TV series)
- Chún Sān Guó (RPG, Ancient Chinese fantasy setting)
Top 3 Grossing iOS apps
- Fantasy Westward Journey
- Westward Journey Online
- Hero Moba