31 Jul Mobile Gaming Roundup – 07/31/2015
Evolution of strategy, interstitials lead to rage-quits, and everyone is cheap.
Industry News for the Week Ending July 31, 2015. Welcome to our weekly roundup of mobile gaming news. We help curate what’s relevant to those in the mobile gaming industry.
- Gamasutra: Peter Knudson’s Blog – Five Design Strategies for Effective Midcore Monetization – Good high-level reminders to keep in mind.
- Gamasutra: Rob Lockhart’s Blog – Analyzing a Dataset of Game Releases – Analyzing the vocabulary of game names over the years (there’s a lot of ‘War’ sadly).
- Google realized you hate full-page app ads – 9% CTR on the interstitial, but 69% rage-quit the page they were on!
- Data Desk 6: Whatever it Would Cost to Eliminate Mobile Ads, Consumers Don’t Want to Pay it – Even at just $0.99 to disable ads, people are cheap.
- Strategy Games Power-Up Report | Chartboost – Nicely displays the evolution of mobile strategy games.
- The 10 best features of Windows 10, in GIFs – the TL;DR of Windows 10 features.
- Report: New Apple TV set to be announced in September
- Amazon Dash is here: Push button, get stuff – Physical buttons that order stuff when pressed; thought to be an April fools joke.
- When guarantees go wrong, developers get hurt | GamesIndustry.biz – A closer look at the Ouya situation
- Microsoft Edge vs. Google Chrome: Which web browser is faster? – Chrome is still on top.
- Rocket League scores 5 million downloads | GamesIndustry.biz
- Gameloft FY15 Q2 | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Angry Birds 2 launches with new Silver female cast member | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Five Night’s at Freddy’s movie scoops Poltergeist director | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Snapchat Makes Progress Despite Some Hesitation | alistdaily
- SuperData: Social Casino Games Evolving | alistdaily – Social Casino games need to be cross-platform, with a focus on PC.
- Twitter Looks for CMO to Find New Users as Revenue Grows | Digital – Advertising Age
- Windows 10: The Review
- App vs. Mobile Web Battle Continues Worldwide | alistdaily
- Mobile Strategy Games Are Winning | alistdaily
- Razer’s OUYA Acquisition Finalized, Forges Ahead on Android TV | alistdaily
- Apple patent for small camera – Rumoured to be for the Apple Watch.
- Puzzle & Dragons 37m downloads | Pocket Gamer.biz | PGbiz
- Smite hits 10 million players | GamesIndustry.biz
- Nintendo is closing TVii service for good | GamesIndustry.biz
- How to A/B Test Your App Icon – App Annie Blog
- Street Fighter V’s beta ended before it even began
- Gamasutra – Dropped by Deep Silver, Dead Island 2 studio files for insolvency
- Kabam’s ‘Marvel: Contest of Champions’ Hits Big | alistdaily
- Nvidia tablet recalled for literally being too hot to handle
Top Games on July 31, 2015 (iPhone, US)
Back to Blog >
header image: Chartboost