20 Aug Quick China update – IP, RPG, Card on top
We recently had a chat with our man Yuan in Beijing, giving us a quick update on the mobile market. Topping the download charts as always are Casual games, with RPGs generating the revenues.
- Card games (CCGs, TCGs) are quite mainstream. DOTA Legends is popular. High loyalty and revenue throughout the year.
- RPGs are more niche, but they generate the most revenue. Has seen a bit of a decline lately, but overall stable.
- Fantasy Westward Journey has been #1 for consecutive months (the game previously had a PC following)
- Games based on IP are huge; a few of the top 10 games are based on TV Shows.
- Casual games continue to reign supreme, match 3 and runners are doing well; Temple Run and Subway Surfers are Western games in the charts.
- Expects the best recipe for success: IP + casual + innovative + quality graphics.
Kudos to you Yuan. We look forward to sharing more news in the time to come.
Check out our featured posts on the right if you want to publish your game in China or want to know some more market insights.